Hardy Boys Detective Agency Forum

Go Back   Hardy Boys Detective Agency Forum > GENERALLY SPEAKING > General Announcements

General Announcements Announcement area for anything, like vacations, happy birthdays, anniversaries, new member introductions etc.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:56 PM
Princess of the HDA, Keeper of the Gates of Grammar and Beta Supremo

JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?
Default Re: End of an Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhappysal View Post
Since we're looking for a new home to gather, I prefer to consider this a change of address and not the end of an era. I look forward to decorating the new gutter. Let's face it, that couch has seen better days. I'm also sourcing new hibachi. 😆
To my knowledge that gutter was never decorated in the first place! If you have some ideas, Sal, I'm all for them!

Miss Piggy: Why are you telling me all this?

Lady Holiday: It's plot exposition. It has to go somewhere.

from The Great Muppet Caper
Old 03-19-2017, 10:41 AM
Global Police Commissioner

Dawn What, Who, Me?Dawn What, Who, Me?Dawn What, Who, Me?Dawn What, Who, Me?Dawn What, Who, Me?Dawn What, Who, Me?Dawn What, Who, Me?Dawn What, Who, Me?Dawn What, Who, Me?Dawn What, Who, Me?Dawn What, Who, Me?

Personally, I quite like a filthy gutter! LOL
Old 03-19-2017, 01:51 PM
City Police Lieutenant Detective

Paulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud of

I'm not sure if anyone is starting investigating a 'new home' or not. Here is a possible option:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo

My other fandom uses this for it's mailing list and it also has file storage, photo sharing. To be honest, I don't go there often but just wait for the various mailings. However, everyone who is a member of the group (our is a restricted group) can have 1 or more folders where you can store stories.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:56 PM
State Police Lieutenant

Katie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulina Ann View Post
I'm not sure if anyone is starting investigating a 'new home' or not. Here is a possible option:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo

My other fandom uses this for it's mailing list and it also has file storage, photo sharing. To be honest, I don't go there often but just wait for the various mailings. However, everyone who is a member of the group (our is a restricted group) can have 1 or more folders where you can store stories.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that.
That's a great idea.:-) I've also thought of this one:
http://www.simplemachines.org/

It's the one SkyWarp uses for his site, and it's free.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:25 PM

JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?

I believe Rokia has found one, as well. All kinds of options for new homes.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:04 PM
Website Manager, Queen of the Road and Chief Frankette

rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?

I've already made a new message board - it's just ready to share yet because I have more tweaking to do (and I'm still learning the admin control panel). However, if people want a yahoogroup to be set-up as another place to put their stories, it might be worth considering. I've found the yahoo groups to be a bit unwieldy (at one point I was a member of about 20... at one time... but it's backed off to about 5 now and most of those aren't very active). You can make multiple folders for stories but, unless something has changed, you can't go very deep on those (so you can't have an author folder, then a story folder for each story).

BUT it is an option...

Just please note - I'm not planning to host a lot of FANFICTION myself... I'm hoping each author will find somewhere to put their stories. If we want a repository to have a bunch of the HDA stories together, yahoogroups would be our best bet because I wouldn't have to post them myself, everyone could add their own (as long as I set up the permissions correctly).

When we have more ideas I'll post up a poll and see what people wanna go with .

Has yahoogroups grown out of the 're: re: re: re' stage yet? Last I looked there, they were still rampant...

---Rokia -- the website mistress

May the Lord Bless you and Keep You
Old 03-19-2017, 11:23 PM
Moderator - Princess & Keeper of Reference Information

Skyhappysal has a reputation beyond reputeSkyhappysal has a reputation beyond reputeSkyhappysal has a reputation beyond reputeSkyhappysal has a reputation beyond reputeSkyhappysal has a reputation beyond reputeSkyhappysal has a reputation beyond reputeSkyhappysal has a reputation beyond reputeSkyhappysal has a reputation beyond reputeSkyhappysal has a reputation beyond reputeSkyhappysal has a reputation beyond reputeSkyhappysal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokia View Post
Has yahoogroups grown out of the 're: re: re: re' stage yet? Last I looked there, they were still rampant...
Up until about a year ago they still hadn't. It was one of the reasons I opted out of Bludhaven.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:31 AM

rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?

Yeah, that's one of my two biggest issues with yahoogroups. They haven't upgraded their actual message system since they first created it - in the LATE 90s people!!! - And also if you store stories there, it's usually as a .zip drive, which means people download the stories on their own computers before they read them.

(I have seen them chaptered out but it's very unwieldy...)

Old 03-20-2017, 10:39 AM
State Police Lieutenant

Katie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokia View Post
I've already made a new message board - it's just ready to share yet because I have more tweaking to do (and I'm still learning the admin control panel). However, if people want a yahoogroup to be set-up as another place to put their stories, it might be worth considering. I've found the yahoo groups to be a bit unwieldy (at one point I was a member of about 20... at one time... but it's backed off to about 5 now and most of those aren't very active). You can make multiple folders for stories but, unless something has changed, you can't go very deep on those (so you can't have an author folder, then a story folder for each story).

BUT it is an option...

Just please note - I'm not planning to host a lot of FANFICTION myself... I'm hoping each author will find somewhere to put their stories. If we want a repository to have a bunch of the HDA stories together, yahoogroups would be our best bet because I wouldn't have to post them myself, everyone could add their own (as long as I set up the permissions correctly).

When we have more ideas I'll post up a poll and see what people wanna go with .

I'm in a group on there, and it's re, this, re that. So annoying! And it stacks the messages as well. Not fun to read.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:58 PM
Global Police Chief

austinj Is a sterling example to followaustinj Is a sterling example to followaustinj Is a sterling example to followaustinj Is a sterling example to followaustinj Is a sterling example to followaustinj Is a sterling example to followaustinj Is a sterling example to followaustinj Is a sterling example to followaustinj Is a sterling example to followaustinj Is a sterling example to followaustinj Is a sterling example to follow
Send a message via AIM to austinj

I was sorry to see this announcement and spent a few days pondering it before replying. Terribly sad to see the HDA wind down.... But, I am super happy that we will continue to exist as a group of supportive friends!!!

My only suggestion would be that we continue to promote the group in order to gain new folks into the fold. Folks like Bob Finnan, CJ/Skywarp, Jenn Fisher (Nancy Drew Sleuths) may be willing to link to our 'new home' on their websites. And, if it's not too financially burdensome, another good idea is to preserve the hda.com domain name and have it forward to our new spot.

Thanks for the decades-long work that you talented ladies have put into promoting the Hardy Boys and HB fanfic. You're perennially underappreciated in writing, but we all do see how much work you've put into this place. Thanks for hosting us for so many years, and continuing to do so!
Old 03-20-2017, 09:28 PM
City Police Sergeant Detective

Fenlaur has a brilliant futureFenlaur has a brilliant futureFenlaur has a brilliant futureFenlaur has a brilliant futureFenlaur has a brilliant futureFenlaur has a brilliant futureFenlaur has a brilliant futureFenlaur has a brilliant futureFenlaur has a brilliant futureFenlaur has a brilliant futureFenlaur has a brilliant future

Aw I'm very sad to read this. I am not terribly active in posting but I cruise around every so often. I will for sure join whatever kind of group you will be planning.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:18 AM
City Police Detective Captain

hlahabibty has a brilliant futurehlahabibty has a brilliant futurehlahabibty has a brilliant futurehlahabibty has a brilliant futurehlahabibty has a brilliant futurehlahabibty has a brilliant futurehlahabibty has a brilliant futurehlahabibty has a brilliant futurehlahabibty has a brilliant futurehlahabibty has a brilliant futurehlahabibty has a brilliant future

I'm really going to miss it here too. I remember when I first found the
forum with all its wonderful people and amazing stories. I hope
it can continue in some capacity.
" When you leave you must remember to come back for the others. A circle, understand? You will always be Esperanza. You will always be Mango Street. You can't erase what you know. You can't forget who you are." Sandra Cisneros, The House on Mango Street.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:48 AM
Keeper of the Ankh of Smiting, Rock Princess and Cooler than Cool

zenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond repute

*looks around at walls decorated with HB covers*

*peers into the Lola Copagirl Memorial Alcove and wonders how we're going to get all the gesso-glazed Shaun Cassidy posters off the walls without forfeiting our rent deposit*

*gives that up as a lost cause and plasters a few dozen more pictures up*

*gazes at resulting walls now a few feet thick with posters*

There. Let them just TRY to take that down.

*sets a framed photo of Lola in the center of the alcove with a quiet glowing candle and walks off, giggling*

"I think we're making the biggest mistake of our young, soon-to-be-terminated lives." -- Joe Hardy, "Wipe Out"
Old 03-21-2017, 02:04 PM

I've been copying and saving and editing [for size!] feedback the past several days...my LORD, is that fun, or what?! It's so marvelous re-reading all the lovely, nice, complimentary things people said about stories. And before you ask, no, I'm not editing out any comments -- just those long sig blocks and extra lines of space, and icons.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:16 PM
City Police Investigator

Shane Is a sterling example to followShane Is a sterling example to followShane Is a sterling example to followShane Is a sterling example to followShane Is a sterling example to followShane Is a sterling example to followShane Is a sterling example to followShane Is a sterling example to followShane Is a sterling example to followShane Is a sterling example to followShane Is a sterling example to follow

All things come to an end, but it's sad news regardless. This is the most pleasant forum I've been on. Others have ranged from OK to downright toxic. Just signed up for the new board.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:32 PM
City Police Investigator

Cokey has a reputation beyond reputeCokey has a reputation beyond reputeCokey has a reputation beyond reputeCokey has a reputation beyond reputeCokey has a reputation beyond reputeCokey has a reputation beyond reputeCokey has a reputation beyond reputeCokey has a reputation beyond reputeCokey has a reputation beyond reputeCokey has a reputation beyond reputeCokey has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. Amazing. I guess it was bound to happen at some point but still...

I've been a member here for almost 12 years. I was just a teenager. I remember reading stories on here through dial-up internet and driving my mother insane with my daily requests to tie up the phone line.

I'll never forget the first HB fanfiction story I ever read. It was April Showers. I was hooked immediately. I also remember the time I used up all of my mother's ink by printing out every page of Happy Birthday by Red. Good times, good times.

I spread my fanfiction wings here at HDA. Thank you for time and effort that went into keeping this going for all this time.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:11 PM
City Police Sergeant

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say, the HDA definitely helped me through some darker moments in my life, with the support and friendship I found here. I loved the rapport, the games, the way that members were happy to provide either prayers or silliness as needed (and everything in between).

Thank you everyone for the wonderful memories I've had here.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:03 AM

What a lovely thing to say, Sparrow!

Old 04-03-2017, 01:17 PM
State Chief of Police

ghostwritersboss Is a sterling example to followghostwritersboss Is a sterling example to followghostwritersboss Is a sterling example to followghostwritersboss Is a sterling example to followghostwritersboss Is a sterling example to followghostwritersboss Is a sterling example to followghostwritersboss Is a sterling example to followghostwritersboss Is a sterling example to followghostwritersboss Is a sterling example to followghostwritersboss Is a sterling example to followghostwritersboss Is a sterling example to follow

I am sad to see this happen, but I totally understand why. With my daughters' sports events and my Chrohns and internet service, I don't get to read for pleasure etc anymore. I did come here to let my third graders look at my other student's writing work and saw the notice. Please keep me informed if you move and you have all the permission you need to do what you want with our stories. They were backed up, but that computer crashed and I have no idea on how to back them up. My computer skills still are not great so if someone could shoot me an email as of how to do that, I would appreciate it.
You guys did an awesome job and I do hope you find a free board somewhere because I would love to be able to visit all of you.

Thanks,
Annah
rivertyde@hotmail.com
Old 04-03-2017, 06:04 PM

Annah, here's the link to the new message board: http://hdathesequel.proboards.com/

I'll send you an email with it as well, since you kindly included your latest email address.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:28 PM

Annah, I will back up your stories, convert them to .doc files and forward them to you via email. Give me a few weeks though -- I'm swamped until after Easter and we still have to work on getting Lola's stories ready to go...

Old 04-05-2017, 01:20 AM
City Police Detective Captain

hlahabibty has a brilliant futurehlahabibty has a brilliant futurehlahabibty has a brilliant futurehlahabibty has a brilliant futurehlahabibty has a brilliant futurehlahabibty has a brilliant futurehlahabibty has a brilliant futurehlahabibty has a brilliant futurehlahabibty has a brilliant futurehlahabibty has a brilliant futurehlahabibty has a brilliant future

Hi everyone! How can we join the new message board?
" When you leave you must remember to come back for the others. A circle, understand? You will always be Esperanza. You will always be Mango Street. You can't erase what you know. You can't forget who you are." Sandra Cisneros, The House on Mango Street.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:53 PM
City Police Lieutenant Detective

Paulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud of

http://hdathesequel.proboards.com/
Old 04-06-2017, 01:30 PM
City Police Sergeant

Leyapearl is a splendid one to beholdLeyapearl is a splendid one to beholdLeyapearl is a splendid one to beholdLeyapearl is a splendid one to beholdLeyapearl is a splendid one to beholdLeyapearl is a splendid one to beholdLeyapearl is a splendid one to behold

I know I haven't been on long (or around much), but I want to chime in and add my thanks to everyone who has worked on keeping this site alive. I look forward to getting my change of address form!

Leya
Old 04-08-2017, 06:18 PM
Federal Director of Investigations

fvhardy is a Prince or Princess of the Courtfvhardy is a Prince or Princess of the Courtfvhardy is a Prince or Princess of the Courtfvhardy is a Prince or Princess of the Courtfvhardy is a Prince or Princess of the Courtfvhardy is a Prince or Princess of the Courtfvhardy is a Prince or Princess of the Courtfvhardy is a Prince or Princess of the Courtfvhardy is a Prince or Princess of the Courtfvhardy is a Prince or Princess of the Courtfvhardy is a Prince or Princess of the Court

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWarp View Post
I think a little piece of my heart may have just died as I read this thread.
This was me exactly when I read the email. I think I literally sat in stunned silence for about 5 minutes before I had to run off and finish my stupid work. And I felt that way even though I've barely been on the board over the last few years (life has been sheer insanity for me - went back to college and then working three jobs to pay off my student loans!), but I've often thought of the HDA. This was honestly the best online home anyone could have asked for. It was always such a warn, supportive and welcoming place to come and have a laugh or a vent. I've never gotten as involved or invested in an online community as I did here. And there were so many laughs! One of which I was reminded of by Sal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhappysal View Post
Since we're looking for a new home to gather, I prefer to consider this a change of address and not the end of an era. I look forward to decorating the new gutter. Let's face it, that couch has seen better days. I'm also sourcing new hibachi. 😆
How many times did our lewd leanings lead us into the gutter? Which we decorated so proudly! And that hibachi...I'd forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder, Sal.

I'm very sad to see the HDA rounding down, even though I haven't been on much over the last few years. But I want to thank all the staff, especially Rokia, JD and Dawn for all their hard work (and I was a past mod, so I know how much personal time you guys invested in the board). You guys should be proud that you created an amazing, fun, supportive online home for all Hardy Boys' fans to enjoy. Like Sal, I'm going to think of it as moving address and I've already signed up to the new board (although part of me weeps at leaving behind my furniture i.e. post count! There were a lot of fun hours involved in that! ).

You guys have been amazing.

Young Justice, Schooled.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:43 PM
City Police Officer

cindys has a brilliant futurecindys has a brilliant futurecindys has a brilliant futurecindys has a brilliant futurecindys has a brilliant futurecindys has a brilliant futurecindys has a brilliant futurecindys has a brilliant futurecindys has a brilliant futurecindys has a brilliant futurecindys has a brilliant future

So sad to see this but completely understand. Thanks to everyone involved...this was the most relaxing place with the nicest people (and the best stories.) See you at the new location!