Hardy Boys Detective Agency Forum

Go Back   Hardy Boys Detective Agency Forum > THE HARDY BOYS AREA > Hardy Boys Books Forum

Hardy Boys Books Forum Home of discussion about the different Hardy Boys books. Why not start off a Hardy Boys book critique/review thread?

Old 03-13-2017, 08:44 PM
City Chief of Police

SkyWarp has a brilliant futureSkyWarp has a brilliant futureSkyWarp has a brilliant futureSkyWarp has a brilliant futureSkyWarp has a brilliant futureSkyWarp has a brilliant futureSkyWarp has a brilliant futureSkyWarp has a brilliant futureSkyWarp has a brilliant futureSkyWarp has a brilliant futureSkyWarp has a brilliant future
Thumbs up The Big Lie #1

I came into this series not sure what we might get and a little worried perhaps. But, after reading the first issue, even though I may have some small personal things I may not like, overall I found this new series to snag my interest and I am now wanting more.

I am looking forward to the next issue. So far, I must admit this seems to be the best official Hardy Boys content I have read since the Casefiles series!

You can read my short review and see where Tom Swift and the Bobbsey Twins fit into all of this via: http://www.hardyboyscasefiles.com/fo...p?topic=2795.0

I have attempted to keep it spoiler free.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:15 PM
Princess of the HDA, Keeper of the Gates of Grammar and Beta Supremo

JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?
Default Re: The Big Lie #1

I must ask, why is it a "Big Lie"?

Miss Piggy: Why are you telling me all this?

Lady Holiday: It's plot exposition. It has to go somewhere.

from The Great Muppet Caper
Old 03-13-2017, 10:40 PM
Website Manager, Queen of the Road and Chief Frankette

rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?rokia What, Who, Me?

I THINK that's the name of the book??

---Rokia -- the website mistress

May the Lord Bless you and Keep You
Old 03-13-2017, 11:17 PM
City Chief of Police

SkyWarp has a brilliant futureSkyWarp has a brilliant futureSkyWarp has a brilliant futureSkyWarp has a brilliant futureSkyWarp has a brilliant futureSkyWarp has a brilliant futureSkyWarp has a brilliant futureSkyWarp has a brilliant futureSkyWarp has a brilliant futureSkyWarp has a brilliant futureSkyWarp has a brilliant future

Yes, the name of the series is "The Big Lie". It is what the entire series is based on (or so it appears so far).
Old 03-13-2017, 11:30 PM

JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?JD What, Who, Me?

That's what I'm asking. What "Big Lie" is the whole series based on?

Old 03-14-2017, 07:46 AM
City Chief of Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
That's what I'm asking. What "Big Lie" is the whole series based on?
Now that might be a spoiler.

Spoiler
Old 03-14-2017, 10:41 AM
State Police Lieutenant

Katie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond repute

Spoiler
Old 03-14-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
Spoiler
There were a couple of crossovers written with them -- but in those, Tom lives i California, not near Bayport!

Old 03-14-2017, 04:14 PM
City Police Sergeant Detective

Fenlaur has a brilliant futureFenlaur has a brilliant futureFenlaur has a brilliant futureFenlaur has a brilliant futureFenlaur has a brilliant futureFenlaur has a brilliant futureFenlaur has a brilliant futureFenlaur has a brilliant futureFenlaur has a brilliant futureFenlaur has a brilliant futureFenlaur has a brilliant future

I haven't bought a copy yet but I plan to. But how could they kill Fenton
Old 03-14-2017, 06:58 PM
City Chief of Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlaur View Post
I haven't bought a copy yet but I plan to. But how could they kill Fenton
How? That remains to be seen. Which is exactly what the three are trying to figure out.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:23 PM
State Police Lieutenant

Katie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond reputeKatie has a reputation beyond repute

Just got this on Amazon Kindle.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:24 AM
Keeper of the Ankh of Smiting, Rock Princess and Cooler than Cool

zenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond repute

Wait....WHAT???

They...oh no. They couldn't do that. They couldn't.

"I think we're making the biggest mistake of our young, soon-to-be-terminated lives." -- Joe Hardy, "Wipe Out"
Old 03-21-2017, 09:11 AM

zenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond reputezenfrodo has a reputation beyond repute

Okay. Just based on Skywarp's post, I got the first issue -- it's available on iPad, too. And man, oh man....

First, I don't see Simon/Schuster's name anywhere, and they still hold copyright on the HB. Is this licensed by them, or not? Because since it's not under the Franklin Dixon name, I'm guessing this might be a fanwork (the same way someone redid House on the Cliff a few years back).

Second, this is NOT for kids. This is very, very much an adult tale. Don't let the comic format fool you; comics have not been for kids for a long time now. No, we get murder, violence against canon characters...Chief Collig and another policeman beating the crap out of Frank and Joe...mild cussing, themes of suicide and cop corruption...

No, not for kids. I'd rate this a solid PG13, shading into R territory.

But HO-LEE CRIMINY, this is off to a gritty start. I'm not happy that the writer took a very cheap shock-value ploy...

Spoiler

...and I call it cheap shock value because it is. It gets done in almost every TV series and book series just to rile fans up and get them talking (look how much the news goes crazy whenever the same thing gets announced for Superman & Batman, for example; heck, Supernatural practically runs on that trope), and it's a common ploy to get interest in a series. And here, it smacks of shock for the sake of shock.

Aside from the blonde and black hair, there's very little here that's recognizable as the Hardy Boys. It reads as if the writer just wrote this tale about his own characters and plugged in the Hardys' canon character names to try to market to a recognized fanbase. Laura's barely there, Aunt Gertrude nonexistent (so far), none of the Hardys' friends are named (save for a brief text message from Callie), Fenton is not a private detective but now working for Bayport Police, and Collig is warped beyond recognition.

Shifting to spoiler for the rest.

Spoiler

I admit, this thing is likely going to be a guilty pleasure, like potato chips, but only for snark value. Seriously, there's too many fanfic writers who have done great grown-up tales of the Hardys without resorting to the cliched, cheap, heavy-handed shock-ploys this comic does.

"I think we're making the biggest mistake of our young, soon-to-be-terminated lives." -- Joe Hardy, "Wipe Out"

Last edited by zenfrodo; 03-21-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:49 AM
State Police Lieutenant

Those things sort of crossed my mind. If you've read the Casefile, Beyond the Law,
Spoiler

I did like the adult take on it. I don't know if I'd say it's at an R rating though. I still can't wait for the next issue in April.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:23 PM

I would't call it an "adult take", Katie (though I wouldn't give the comic to any kid under 12, but that's just me). The writer's obviously trying to be "gritty and edgy" in order to appeal to whatever media thinks the "modern audience" is into, which is why we're getting the mild cuss words and the scene I describe above. The problem is that when writers so-obviously try to be gritty & edgy to connect with what they think that teenage audience wants, they often fall far short of the mark.

There's plenty of fanfic writers who've done much better adult tales of the Hardys without resorting to cheap shock value and "edgy" -- Leyapearl comes to mind right away. And SnowPrincess. And Dawn (especially that last story posted here...woah). One of my favorite writers on FFNet is Jilsen, who does *really* gritty stuff (the brothers are grown-up, ex-military, opening their agency), and Jilsen's stuff runs to extremely violent (and very realistic & well-researched), yet the Hardys are recognizably Frank & Joe, all grown-up.

I'll probably buy the next issue, too, just to see where the writer's going with this, but I have a feeling I know what the outcome and "twists" are going to be.

Y'know, if this guy's able to get his stuff published without needing S&S's okay or backing, I say WE publish an anthology of the best HB fanfic in response. All proceeds to the Heart Foundation or something like that.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:17 PM
City Police Lieutenant Detective

Paulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenfrodo View Post
One of my favorite writers on FFNet is Jilsen, who does *really* gritty stuff (the brothers are grown-up, ex-military, opening their agency), and Jilsen's stuff runs to extremely violent (and very realistic & well-researched), yet the Hardys are recognizably Frank & Joe, all grown-up.
Oooooo. Jilsen. Love her story she posted at Christmas. And you're right about her writing, very edgy. If you've read her stories on HDA and liked them, you should definitely visit FFN because she's published some more.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:48 AM
Global Police Commissioner

Dawn What, Who, Me?Dawn What, Who, Me?Dawn What, Who, Me?Dawn What, Who, Me?Dawn What, Who, Me?Dawn What, Who, Me?Dawn What, Who, Me?Dawn What, Who, Me?Dawn What, Who, Me?Dawn What, Who, Me?Dawn What, Who, Me?

I saw these books for sale on EBay the other day and I was totally confused! They said they were Hardy Boy books, but I couldn't find Frankin W Dixon written anywhere. I'm assuming that S&S are okay with this writer using their characters to make money because it wouldn't have got into circulation they way they have. But it does open up interesting possibilities for fanfic writers here - could we do the same?
Old 03-22-2017, 02:06 PM
City Police Lieutenant Detective

Paulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud ofPaulina Ann has much to be proud of

Here is what I found on the internet:

Quote:
Earlier this year, Dynamite Entertainment further solidified claim to the industry's leading publisher of licensed comics with news of an exclusive arrangement with Simon & Schuster to bring the beloved characters Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys to comics with all-new adventures!
It seems that the writer is a fairly well-known comic writer that has done comics for Assassin's Creed and something called Kill Shakespeare. So the series is legit.

If you want the full article: https://www.previewsworld.com/Articl...e-Never-Before

I haven't read but was intrigued at whether it was legit.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:18 PM
Global Police Chief

austinj Is a sterling example to followaustinj Is a sterling example to followaustinj Is a sterling example to followaustinj Is a sterling example to followaustinj Is a sterling example to followaustinj Is a sterling example to followaustinj Is a sterling example to followaustinj Is a sterling example to followaustinj Is a sterling example to followaustinj Is a sterling example to followaustinj Is a sterling example to follow
Send a message via AIM to austinj

Didn't the Papercutz comics also omit the Franklin W. Dixon pseudonym?

I am sure that all regularly distributed materials have a solid license agreement with S&S.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulina Ann View Post
Here is what I found on the internet:

It seems that the writer is a fairly well-known comic writer that has done comics for Assassin's Creed and something called Kill Shakespeare. So the series is legit.
*sigh* yeah, I finally managed to find the "arrangement with Simon & schuster in the very small print on my copy, too, after a few hours of squinting and figuring out how to work the zoom-in & move-around-the-page on my ipad.

(Normally I'd make some joke about old age & falling apart, but I've been falling apart since high school. Carry on...)

But with stuff like Big Lies, I hold firmly to my belief that the HB 'verse is the only 'verse where the fanfic is often/usually/mostly better than the official canon.

(Yeah. I still haven't forgiven them for what they've done to Aunt Gertrude.)

Old 03-29-2017, 12:29 PM
City Police Sergeant

Leyapearl is a splendid one to beholdLeyapearl is a splendid one to beholdLeyapearl is a splendid one to beholdLeyapearl is a splendid one to beholdLeyapearl is a splendid one to beholdLeyapearl is a splendid one to beholdLeyapearl is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, no. I just heard about the series today -- library article about how HB/ND and Archie (Riverdale TV show) have 'grown up' -- and I am appalled. Gritty and poorly researched does not a grown-up make.

Grrr....